Sunday 28 August 2016

Pride and Prejudice



As I've been saying - I love a bit of classic literature. But this, I have to say - went on forever. It seemed like there was a never ending circle of love/hate relations in this novel and I have to be clear about it: if you like Pride and Prejudice, I'm sorry - this is going to be one negative review. I read this book back when I was only 13 and well - I kinda wished I hadn't.

Characters:

Okay, so my favourite character was Elizabeth. But, this doesn't mean she was any good - I simply liked the way she was written. Austen's writing is amazing - but Pride and Prejudice has to be one of her worst novels (Emma is the best, that was awesome). Elizabeth was written as the stereotypical female overcoming the boundaries of her gender. This, now is considered cliche in the form of Bella from "Twilight" and Katniss from "The Hunger Games" - but, for the Victorian Era I imagine this was some form of gender revolution. That's the only reason Elizabeth would be considered a well-written character. Everything else? She was pretty dull and boring, didn't really like her very much - couldn't connect with her aristocratic and pretentious charisma - it was all a little eye-rolling.


Themes:

I think the best written theme in this novel was obviously love and class. Now, that is to say that this novel was purely based on love and class and that Austen is an elitist. It was the most used and best theme of the entire novel, but again, it was dull and pretentious - written for those who like to aesthetically analyse the surface of a concrete floor.


Storyline:

I can simply say that I entirely hated the storyline. This is not a bias away or towards the romantic novel, I actually quite like a light-read romance. This was not a light read. When I was thirteen years old - and I read this, I initially thought - "okay, at least I can say that I read it." But, I felt no connection with the storyline - it was completely and entirely stored in my memory and I knew for a fact that I would probably never use it again.


Verdict:

I give this book 5/9

2/3 for characters: Only because of the context it was written in. 

2/3 for themes: Again, this is to do with context - but Emma has similar themes, I think this is Austen's forte

1/3 for storyline: I'm sorry guys, I just couldn't read it again

On the other hand, "Pride and Prejudice and Zombies" looks good though... 


No comments:

Post a Comment