Saturday 13 August 2016

The Watchmaker of Filigree Street



This novel by Natasha Pulley I initially picked up because it was the only colourful book on a shelf of Foyles Bookstore in Brum Central. I picked it up and read it. Immediately afterwards - I'm trying to get as many of my friends to read it as possible. This is just a truly remarkable book. It's a YA novel that sounds pretty and light without being pretentious. So hard to find - but as rare as it is, this book is still amazing for a lovely 'night-time with tea' read. 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Thaniel Steepleton because I felt as if I was finding things out whilst Thaniel was. It is always nice to have a character that is seemingly on the same page you are. A sort of half dramatic irony thing - as many character seem to know what's going on. But, from finding the pocket watch on his pillow - Thaniel was finding things out as we were in the novel. Pulley just writes the character so well that there is no way that I can suggest improvement. It was a truly three dimensional character in which all three dimensions were only revealed by the end of the novel. 

Themes:

I loved the theme of mystery. Not only with Thaniel finding the watch, but also with Grace disguising herself in the Oxford Library. Keita Mori is definitely the most mysterious character though - always only revealing what needs to be revealed, never anything more; or less.  

Storyline:

The storyline was absolute magic. The whole mystery of things just made the language of the story seem airy and light - when really there was a juxtaposing deeper meaning to the book. The whole aspect of secrets and disguise give it a Victorian Novel feel. Most of the storyline is the atmosphere in this novel - and because of this, I would more than happily give it another read.

Verdict:

I give this book 9/9

100% for characters: There is not a character that I can say I truly hated. I loved aspects of characters, I disliked aspects of characters - and this is what made them more human to me. Brilliant character creation is upheld in this novel.

100% for themes: The theme of mystery and secrecy is amazingly interwoven to the storyline. I think it gives the story a gripping feel - revealing little by little so that you can only possibly know everything when you hit the end of the novel. Even then, there are still "what ifs?" This was such a well-done aspect of the novel - it was my favourite reason to read it. 

100% for storyline: A lovely magical read - a little bit different to what I normally read. I felt a sense of achievement after finishing this and cannot wait to read it again. Just to recreate the feeling of reading it for the first time and hoping to take away something new. 

No comments:

Post a Comment