Sunday 28 August 2016

Gravity's Rainbow



Well, did I thoroughly enjoy this novel? Yes

Is it the first time I'd read it? Yes.

Would I read it again? Yes

Considered as one of the "Great American Novels" - Gravity's Rainbow is full of characters with mad plans and wild spurts of paranoia. Written in the style of Ulysses (or so I think), this novel depicts a surreal world fundamentally controlled by a dystopian government order and strangely enough - it's working... For now. 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Slothrop and also, Bianca. Both of these characters seemed idealistic and immersed in themselves. They were well crafted and highly relatable - tinged with impending doom, they were also tragic yet warming. I liked the range of emotions, and seriously think that you should give this a read if you want to feel every emotion humanly possible. 

Themes:

I loved the theme of paranoia. I think it was portrayed very differently to the way in which we understand paranoia in literature. Normally, we are presented with a "follower" and a "chase", but in this case; it's more of a "surveillance" which gives characters spurts of paranoia as opposed to continuous rages of it. This makes the theme highly effective and sometimes, even quite realistic. 

Storyline:

The storyline of this novel is long and exciting, but - mainly it is about the life of Slothrop and his crazy adventure. I don't want to spoil it for you - so I'm going to say very little. But, I would give it a read if you're into wild takes on the English Language. (And I mean wild ). 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I really did like Slothrop and Bianca, I also enjoyed the snippets of Leni - which were pretty cool. 

100% for themes: Paranoia has never been explored in such ways, (I don't believe. Please inform me if it has). 

2/3 for storyline: The only reason it's 2/3 is because sometimes I think the descriptions and some conversations go on forever. It's a little long winded to tackle. My copy is a mere 902 pages and it's quite small print. Otherwise, it's brilliant. 



No comments:

Post a Comment