Friday 19 August 2016

American Dream Machine




I'm not going to say very much about this book because the selling-points on the cover were a tad misleading. First of all, it reads "a protagonist in the light of Jay Gatsby" - I would say that Gatsby was much deeper than the main characters of this novel. It had a good run and was, at times, quite interesting; but it lacked in depth and was trying too hard to be a Bret Easton Ellis novel. 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Beau. He seemed like the only character who remained in states of actual common sense. Whereas the others were very pompous, self-righteous or selfish. Now, I do not endorse the fact that Hollywood isn't like this - but it did seem, sometimes, a little bit overdone. Beau, on the other hand - hand some sort of dimension to his character.

Themes:

My favourite theme was the collapse of the American Dream - not only for the fact that it was the only theme that was done well. But, because I hated the vast majority of the characters - I kind of liked it when all of their plans failed and it made the book have some sort of resolute ending. 

Storyline: 

I really didn't like this story. Only because it was cut short and there was no real sustenance to it. At least Gatsby had some sort of message and extended metaphor behind it. This book was a basic rip-ff of Less Than Zero by Bret Easton Ellis. Only, that book was better. 

Verdict:

I give this book 4/9

2/3 for characters: Only because I liked Beau. He seemed like a well-to-do guy most of the time

2/3 for themes: I love a good happy ending. 

0/3 for storyline: Couldn't get into the story very much - only really liked the ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment