Tuesday 2 August 2016

Restoration




This book I read a while back because of watching the film of it starring Robert Downey Jr. Well, I can clearly say that the book is so well written - I feel almost emotionally drained after reading it. Robert Merivel is a character of puzzling location and even more confusing occupation. The whole thing is written in 1st person from Merivel's POV and includes some startling events that make you really like Merivel after spending so long thinking he's a complete idiot.

Characters:

My favourite character is probably Katherine. I love Katherine because she seems so agreeable with everything - it is almost like nothing shocks her, but some things occasionally surprise her. She eventually has a child called Margaret and spends a lot of time sick and being cared for by Merivel. 

Themes:

My favourite theme in the book is selfishness and selflessness. It seems that Robert Merivel only learns what true selflessness is when he turns up at the Quaker estate and William Harvey buildings in which the Society of Friends nurse the plague sufferers either back to health, or help them on their way to the grave. Merivel here, falls in love with Katherine. 

Storyline:

The way in which Merivel moves location according to the evolution of his character is almost perfect. I won't say what happens by the end, but Merivel eventually puts others before himself and saves someone from the Great Fire of London. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I really liked Katherine, but I think Celia was a bit of a strange cookie. She didn't seem very developed - as Katherine was, but Celia got more time in the story. Both characters were very contrasted though - even though they were in similar situations regarding Merivel. 

100% for themes: The way in which Merivel grows selfless is also portrayed in the next novel Merivel: A Man of His Time, which I also loved. 

2/3 for storyline: Just wanted a better ending. That's all. 

No comments:

Post a Comment