Thursday 18 August 2016

Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas




The American Dream is never short of a couple of novels to make the top list. But, this book by Hunter S. Thompson took me by surprise when I first read it around 6 years ago. I had no idea what happened in the majority of the book - but after giving it re-read after re-read - only 3 years ago, I thought I'd finally cracked the code. And I did...

Characters:

My favourite character was Dr. Gonzo. I have no idea why he's my favourite character - but the fact that he's taking recreational drugs with what seems like a heart condition just keeps me on edge for his death at all times. 

Themes:

The decline of 60s culture was my favourite theme. You can clearly see as these two addicts race to report on the Mint 400 motorcycle race that they clearly represent the beating and bloodied heart of the american dream - throbbing with cultural decadence. 

Storyline:

So the storyline was hard to figure out. It was both intriguing and psychedelic. The constant drug use tinged with the counterculture and decline of modernism. Ooh, how questionable! The storyline was circled around a motorcycle race and the journey to and from it - but it created a series of unfortunate qualities about the modern man. This is why I liked it so much. 

Verdict:

As this is one of my favourite books - nothing less than a 9 is in order. 

100% for characters: I believe that Thompson's semi-autobiographical roman à clef (or story with a key) is centred around the characters who cannot find the 'clef'. It's quite funny actually 

100% for themes: The best theme by far was the decline of culture and the foes of tradition. Obviously, I loved the dark witty sensation of the whole thing - Thompson is an excellent writer. 

100% for storyline: Again, characters who never find the key to hedonism are the best. This is what separates Hunter S. Thompson from Steinbeck and Fitzgerald. 

No comments:

Post a Comment