Sunday 21 August 2016

Devil in the White City




I first read this book back when I was about 17 years old and then re-read it last year. It was an enthralling read with various plot twists and strange occurrences throughout. I think, if you really want to get into this book - I suggest lots of tea. It can get quite heavy at times - like a Sherlock Holmes thing going on. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Daniel Burnham - an architect. He seemed like all fun and games until John Root dies. He designed the Chicago World Fair and now seems strangely interested in John Root's death. He's a very weary character and has some theories that attempt to shake the events that take place in the novel. Intriguing he is, and even afterwards, intriguing he remains. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was probably science. The murderer in question in the novel designs a hotel in which he lures and traps his victims - he then removes their bones for scientific analysis after killing them. A very strange and twisted version of an American Jack the Ripper. This theme was the most problematic of them all. 

Storyline:

I felt the storyline twist and turn with various plot holes and loops that slowly wound themselves up. I really did enjoy the American-Crime writing style of this book and I thoroughly believe that this book is an American modern classic. I recommend it to anyone who likes Crime and Drama. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: I really did like the vast majority of the characters. Even the murderer was likeable at times - sort of like an In Cold Blood thing going on there. 

100% for themes: The scientific theme mixed with the supernatural elements in the novel made this book a really good read for reason vs magic. 

100% for storyline: Oh, I have to say that it is one of the most gripping crime novels I have ever read.  

No comments:

Post a Comment