Monday 29 August 2016

My Cousin Rachel (Explicit)




OH MY GOD! 

Let me begin by saying this book created unnecessary amounts of tension and had me sweating and crying at the end. God damn it! I just took a shower! Now, I'm sitting in bed absolutely scared shitless. Movies can't frighten me - but Du Maurier's amounts of tension can stress me the hell out..

Daphne Du Maurier makes another hit. Never failing to scare the absolute shite out of me - this particular novel would be on the list of greatest Du Maurier books I've read, most probably at the top:

1) My Cousin Rachel
2) Jamaica Inn
3) The Birds and other stories
4) Frenchman's Creek 
5) Rebecca 

Characters:

My favourite character was Phillip. His three-dimensional paranoia and his quick judgements get him only so far - Rachel is a feisty character that juxtaposes Phillip perfectly. I recommend this book to anyone who hasn't read Du Maurier before and would like to - the characters are fantastic! 

Themes:

There is one theme that Du Maurier is the queen of... and that's mystery. The amount of suspense and tension created within one novel is absolutely beautiful. I kept reading it and reading it, I only started it last night, but I've been unable to put it down. So much suspense, so many turns. Good lord, it was an amazing journey!

Storyline:

Okay, so Ambrose, a head of a Cornish estate is dead. He has nobody to inherit his property other than his adopted orphan cousin, Phillip. But, Phillip sees Ambrose's death circumstances as mysterious and unsettling - when his estranged widow shows up (Rachel), everything is turned upside down by a woman who is plain in appearance, but headstrong at heart. *shivers*

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Phillip and Rachel have to be my favourite Du Maurier characters ever!

100% for themes: She never fails to amaze me on how so much tension can be created from words. She is a perfect example of a female Stephen King. 

100% for storyline: Not gonna lie - this book thoroughly made me shit myself. 

No comments:

Post a Comment