Saturday 20 August 2016

The King's Curse



This book I read just before I finished my very first semester of university. It was a brilliantly written book with some strong characters and themes. I loved it from start to finish and sometimes give it a re-read on my kindle. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Margaret Pole. She is very headstrong in her movements - especially when she is making some tough decisions against her life. It is evident that most of Margaret's language to other members of the court is not her own - but the language of someone else. She very nearly gets herself killed in more than one instance and some of her actions are wild and unruly - especially for a woman of Tudor England. 

Themes:

The theme of conflict is best here. I can truly say that the conflict between Henry VIII and Margaret Pole is a very three dimensional one. People of the court are either swapping sides, or trying to be favourites to one. Never is anyone completely faithful - but Margaret proves faith in herself by staying true to her cause. 

Storyline:

I loved the conflicting storyline of morality; what is good? what is right? The argument of want and need was amazingly portrayed through language. Also, the ending was at its best. If you've read about the Tudors, you have probably heard the story of Margaret Pole and her conflicts with Henry VIII. The ending of Margaret's diary is a difficult one - only moments before she is sent to her death by beheading. *cries*

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: Margaret Pole and Henry VIII were so realistic!

100% for themes: Philippa Gregory is only doing what she does best - betrayal and conflict. 

100% for storyline: It was the ending that leaves you in tears every single time. 

No comments:

Post a Comment