Tuesday 9 August 2016

The Wise Woman




Okay, so from a modern perspective - I am very sure that Philippa Gregory is probably up there as one of my all time favourite writers. She is just so god damn intriguing - and this is a review dedicated to one of my favourite books by her: The Wise Woman. I first read this book when I was in Year 11 - and it was one of those novels that just made me fall in love with Historical Fiction again. After recently giving the book a re-read - I forgot how much I really did enjoy it. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Alys. Not only does she endure some harsh circumstances that are horrific and terrifying for the reader - let alone thinking about what the character must be feeling. She is a "wise woman" - kind of like the more trustable version of a witch - and she goes to work in court. I think Alys is such a strong female character that we hardly ever see in historical fiction and I believe Philippa Gregory must've done so much research to be able to get Alys between being a witch and being respected as a wise woman. 


Themes:

The theme of right and wrong are always prominent in any books by Gregory. I can say that each of her novels have a very strange moral lesson in them (and one that the protagonist must figure out). This theme in The Wise Woman is prolific in a sense that everyone's view of this morality is different. The ones who think they are doing good are doing wrong - and the ones thinking they're doing wrong - well, they can't believe anything else because those who believe they are doing wrong are higher in the social ladder than they are. 

Storyline:

So the storyline is shocking - that is not unusual for Philippa Gregory. Full of strange spells, tragic characters and plot twists (and babies made of CANDLEWAX! SHE GIVES BIRTH TO A BABY MADE OF CANDLEWAX! ) This book is intriguing as one of the only pieces of true historical fiction I have read to be based around a character who supernaturally does not know their own strength. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: I truly loved Alys, and I could read a book about her any day of the week. 

100% for themes: Once you've read a lot of Philippa Gregory (I have read everything she's written - I never miss a book) you notice the patterns in her writing style - and it's very comforting to read. 

100% for storyline: Absolute shocker. Kept me on edge from cover to cover and (as Gregory is) does not ensure that everyone has a happy ending. 

No comments:

Post a Comment