Thursday 18 August 2016

The Lady of the Rivers




So I read this book for my A-Level independent coursework. As you probably know, I'm very much into Philippa Gregory and her novels - but this one has to be one of my favourites. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Joan of Arc. Even though she isn't in the book itself for that long - she does seem to have an everlasting effect on Jacquetta's decisions and how she lives her life from then on. Jacquetta watches as Joan is burned at the stake and it seems to add some aspect of flashback horror to her life that is always in her memory. 

Themes:

My favourite theme in this novel is power. As Jacquetta seeks power - so do the men around her. She is constantly trying to overcome being persecuted or oppressed - but with this, others seek to terminate her own power. This makes power and conflict two of the striving themes in the novel. 

Storyline:

As the prequel to The White Queen Gregory offers a base story and does this very well. She is almost unapologetic in describing the lives of tyrants against the Rivers family. I love Gregory's writing style - written as a series of diary entries. 


Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I love the way in which Gregory designs all of the other characters around the protagonist. It is pretty awesome how we get a constantly changing view about who we thought were faithful to the main character. 

100% for themes: Power, conflict, betrayal, gossip, communication, marriage, business and love. These are themes that Gregory is the absolute best at. 

100% for storyline: I love how Gregory's storyline's are all connected. She is amazing at keeping you thinking even after you've read the novel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment