Wednesday 31 August 2016

The Year of the Flood




This Atwood novel thoroughly confused me - and after saying I'd never read another Atwood novel, here I am... (Also, next I'm reading The Heart Goes Last


Characters:

So Ren was the most psychedelic of all the Atwood characters. The idea of Ren being a charming, yet enigmatic and constantly changing character really got me gripped. Also - Toby is always a great character, don't believe me? Read Maddaddam 

Themes:

I think Atwood does dystopian and the obscure perfectly. The characters immediately create this post-apocalyptic nightmare, which the reader must also endure. I really did enjoy focussing on the themes (and the god damn pigoons. Yes, there they are again...)

Storyline:

The storyline is a little hard to follow - since the flood (I found out) is waterless! IT'S A WATERLESS FLOOD! It's simply a metaphor for the apocalypse and therefore there's only a set number of people left alive. It's intriguing how you can have a WATERLESS FLOOD though. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: After Oryx and Crake and Maddaddam these are characters that I'm quite used to

100% for themes: The pigoons. Pigoons. 

2/3 for storyline: Only because it took me to get into my "Atwood reading persona" to be able to understand it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment