Friday 12 August 2016

In Search of Lost Time Volume 4: Sodom and Gomorrah *Spoiler Alert*




This was my favourite volume - I only finished this around half an hour ago and I can say that the ending hit me so god damn hard. I loved it! Just about to start Volume 5, so that will be here soon. But, for now - Sodom and Gomorrah was a brilliantly written piece of catharsis through language. 

Characters: 

Always, Albertine. Albertine has been one of my favourite female characters because she takes all of her matters into her own hands. She is her own person - and as a reader, you really see her come into her own and take real charge of her life until the end of the volume. The narrator is final - he must marry Albertine! 

ALBERTINE AND THE NARRATOR MUST MARRY!!!

Themes:

Love was a massive theme in this one. Full of lust and promiscuity - this volume is rightly named! I really liked how the narrator refused to condone or chastise such behaviours, but stood there like an on-looker most of the time. 

Storyline:

The storyline to this volume completely contradicts the ending - you go through it thinking that the narrator is going to give into his surroundings and then HE WANTS TO MARRY ALBERTINE! This is the ending to the volume we've all been waiting for. 

Verdict:

I give this volume 9. 

100% for characters: Albertine is always 100%. 

100% for themes: I just seem to love the self-will of the narrator and his free-inspired mind. 

100% for storyline: That ending made me so god damn happy! About bloody time mate! 

No comments:

Post a Comment