Tuesday 16 August 2016

The Name of the Rose




A strange tale behind this book...

I found this book in a library when I was around 13 or 14 and didn't pick it up - but was intrigued by the sight of it. Something told me I should've read it there and then - but I resisted. Around a year later, I borrowed the book from a different library - and realised that I should have read it the year before. This book taught me not to resist the urge of books. Umberto Eco's Medieval-esque Romance/Adventure takes linguistic ability to the extreme and you walk out of it wondering if any of it was real at all. Sort of like Narnia. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Malachi. Malachi was the librarian - and this was presently why I could relate to him so well. He seemed to know a lot about books and facts - but always had something missing about him. This made him slightly ambiguous and I do love a good mystery character. 

Themes:

My favourite theme is linguistic ability. Or, should I say, ambiguity. The ambiguous language towards binary traits such as "good and evil" or "pure and tainted" are just what this novel needs to create an unwelcoming religious atmosphere. Are the Catholics right? Are the Catholics wrong? We may never know. 

Storyline:

I love books that centre around an olden era. This one flourishes around Medieval Cities and Towns - we witness monasteries and other places of worship in a world where everything and everyone is in double trust (as Shakespeare would say). 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: I really do think it is important to have a mysterious librarian there somewhere. 

100% for themes: Umberto Eco takes linguistic ability and turns it into dialogue-based deception. A brilliant twist to what was known to be an archaic theme. 

100% for storyline: It was always that Medieval setting and descriptions of the medieval world that got me. I loved the way the land was described - sort of in binaries. It was brilliant and beautiful.  

No comments:

Post a Comment