Thursday 25 August 2016

The Grass is Singing



This Nobel-Prize winning novel wasn't really all it was cracked up to be. Hey, maybe it just wasn't a book that was for me - it was average. I didn't like it, but I didn't dislike it either. It was recommended to me by a friend - so I gave it a go, saw it through and here we are. I thought this book was average purely because it sounds like a bad case of "writing what was needed for society"; there's nothing special about it - it wasn't intriguing in any way. It was average. That is all. Also, I apologise to anyone who thought this novel was amazing. I won't say you're anyone that I wouldn't get along with - but let's not start on the wrong foot. So, here's why I thought that The Grass Is Singing was a book worthy of an "average" medal. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Mary Turner. This had nothing to do with her actual character, but the way her character was written instead. Sometimes, the reader loves Mary and thinks that her demise are a horrible accident. But, sometimes that same reader can detest Mary and actually want to kill her themselves. The conflicting arguments of character was a good idea - I just wish it was utilised more often. 

Themes:

Now, the theme of justice was a good idea - and that's why I think this is a novel that "society" needed. It sounds pretty much like everything a hipster would say - only more clammier and with less bravado. The theme of justice was covered well - I just didn't think that it was the best way to do it. It sort of overdid itself and ended up drowning the other - more alarming themes (such as: commitment, betrayal, indecency so on...) out of the picture. 

Storyline:

Now, a flashback on a story of a murder. The only thing I can say about this is that after reading a book like In Cold Blood - I can safely say that I am biased. Not only does this novel not come close to Capote - but I refuse anything else to top it. So, I apologise when I say that this storyline could've been for me - it just wasn't up to "In Cold Blood-Standard". 

Verdict:

I give this book 3/9

1/3 for character: I did eventually like the way Lessing wrote about Turner. I also liked the ending conflict of interest... a strange one. 

2/3 for themes: Justice is always a great theme. Shame, it just wasn't written to my taste. 

0/3 for storyline: This book will never be as good as In Cold Blood - Capote is just better at writing strange and dazzling murders. 

No comments:

Post a Comment