Monday 29 August 2016

Aurora Floyd



I finished this book last night and I really did enjoy it. Again, it was recommended to me by a friend - so I gave it a read. A brilliant work of fiction, this book did not cease to amaze me as the character of Aurora appears as stubborn, yet classy. Something which did make me laugh from time to time, but mainly shocked me with the reaction (or very little) of other people with all this around them.

Characters:

My favourite character was obviously Aurora, I really enjoyed her twist on the Victorian Heroine and her opposition to Lady Audley in Lady Audley's Secret. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about her motherless up-bringing and the diversity of her personality. It was very well written and not overtly boring (like some other Victorian Novels).

Themes:

Yes, I did see the equestrian themes. But, what I really enjoyed was the theme of gender and class - I think I did end up hating Archibald for his lack of showing emotion - but I did end up liking Lucy. Lucy and Aurora are two very different characters, but are both the same gender - which is not typical of the Victorian Novel (where all the women are pretty much indistinguishable from one another). I really enjoyed this book's take on gender because it presented every single woman as being very different from the last. 

Storyline:

On the whole, I did like reading about Aurora's life - and most parts of it are very interesting. You get shocked into it at the end of Chapter 1, and that keeps you reading for the rest of the book. You get regular shocks to keep you reading - and I think Braddon has the perfect mix for when things get too serene. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: Aurora and Lucy are great characters and I really enjoyed how they were written.

100% for themes: The juxtapositions between each woman, but also the oppositions within Archibald and Aurora were distinct and a nice touch to the novel. 

100% for storyline: We have to admit, Aurora's probably got one of the most interesting Victorian Women lives in the world!

No comments:

Post a Comment