Monday 15 August 2016

Lady Audley's Secret



Okay, so at first I was a little confused about the whole plot line - because seriously, I was completely wrong about what the secret was for most part of the book. I thought this book was extremely intriguing and worked like a cross between DH Lawrence and Arthur Conan-Doyle. Shocking yet surprisingly tranquil; this novel is probably one of the best sensationalist books I've ever read. 

Fact: This book was recommended to me by one of my closest friends - I just had to give it a read. 

Characters:

My favourite character was most probably Robert. He is a bit of an idiot from time to time and he can be horribly sexist - but his care for a character called George is almost as if this man was his brother. Robert seems to go to great lengths to find out where George has gone - and boy, was he in for a surprise. Ouch. 

Themes:

(Apart from the "equestrian themes") My favourite theme was probably secrecy and intrigue. This worked almost like a Renaissance court - with people spreading rumours, telling secrets - keeping secrets that could potentially destroy someone else's life. Secrets work in fascinating ways in this novel and lead the reader on puzzling and lengthy journeys through character speculation. 

Storyline:

M.E Braddon must have planned this storyline out so intricately that there are no real plot holes anywhere. I still kind of feel sorry for some of the women in this novel - Robert was a sexist imbecile and George deserved what he got. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: The strength and determination of Robert to find out where George had gone was an example of brilliant character planning. 

100% for themes: I've always loved secrets - and I loved this one! It was pretty difficult to guess! 

100% for storyline: I did really like the whole "unravelling of truth" about the novel. Very well planned out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment