Monday 8 August 2016

At Swim-Two-Birds



This legend of an Irish novel by Flann O'Brien has kept me enthralled with every single read. There seems to be something mesmerising and fluent about the writing style - something pure and elegant about the dialect and something crude and unusual about the vivid storyline. Every time I read this book, I have never failed to realise the vast intelligence and undying genius of the Irish Novel. I will also clearly articulate that the Irish literary world is much more than just James Joyce, it is O'Brien, Wilde, Yeats and many more great Gods of Books. 

Characters:

My favourite character was Pooka. This was purely because of Pooka seemingly having the most three dimensional intelligence out of all of the characters - including John. I feel that Pooka is seriously underestimated and is also (as a bit of humour) lives the intense RnR lifestyle of all of the characters. All in all - Pooka was brilliantly written in. 

Themes:

I loved the theme of myths and legends. Especially concerning Finn and Sweeney. I loved how it was interwoven with the whole storyline and the fact that this frustrated artist cannot seem to agree with himself and adapts these characters (Finn and Sweeney) into the third story he sets in motion. A brilliant allegory of imagination. 

Storyline:

Although hard to follow (and I think that's the point), this book is probably one of the best pieces of Irish Fiction I have ever encountered. The storyline is full of vivid, three dimensional characters - not a single theme is out of place and the language (as mind-f***ing as it is) contains some excellent uses of metaphor and the most beautiful similes I've ever read. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: Pooka, Finn, Sweeney, John and the rest of them - these were the real highlights of the book. I really believe that O'Brien knew exactly what he wanted when he created these characters. They're just so life-like!

100% for themes: Brilliant modernist literature that still captures the heart of Irish Fiction without sounding like Irish propaganda. This book's themes confuse me to how perfectly articulated they are. The modernist nature of the Irish Novel - mixed with the themes that we know as Celtic Legend - just makes your spine shiver! I love it. 

100% for storyline: At Swim-Two-Birds is such as brilliant read with an amazing "tortured artist" storyline, I seriously cannot get enough of it. It's so good! 


No comments:

Post a Comment