Sunday 21 August 2016

The Little Paris Bookshop




I read this book a while back after buying it in a sale as a light-read. It was a beautifully poetic book with some brilliant themes. The fact that it was about a guy that owned a 'literary apothecary' was even better. I want a literary apothecary! 

Characters:

My favourite character was Jean because in this literary apothecary - he's the owner and also, you wonder that with all these books, how is he still alone? There's a serious secret within Jean and the book is written so well that it only tells us what we need to know at that particular time. I really did love it.

Themes:

The theme I enjoyed reading on most was love. This wasn't just love as in the romantic kind - but there was also types of friendship, there was lamenting lost love, there was also a type of longing for love. The dimensions that kept being added to this theme over the course of the novel made it even nicer to read as it was constantly being changed and layered. This made the end of the book even more satisfying. 

Storyline:

I loved that Jean was head of the literary apothecary - but one thing I enjoyed was the symbol of helpfulness. I know this should be part of "themes", but the storyline had such lovely little anecdotes of helping and putting this next to the theme of love made the book a nice light-read. Exactly what I had hoped for. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: Purely because I'm jealous of Jean having a literary apothecary.

100% for themes: Love, friendship and helpfulness were beautiful themes for this poetic book.

2/3 for storyline: Only because it was a little bit short. I hoped it would've been longer :) 

No comments:

Post a Comment