Tuesday 2 August 2016

The Island of Dr Moreau




This HG Wells horror is packed with strange metaphors for slavery and torture. I believe that this book has given me a greater insight into the strange AND in a plus, if you think you don't have time to read it - it's a very short book! I read it in a few hours and it was brilliant. Few hours well spent!

Characters:

I think my favourite character was either The Thing or Montgomery. This is purely because both of these characters change the most. The Thing progresses and then quickly regresses again - and Montgomery regresses and then rapidly progresses again. These are from Edward's considered states of what it is to be humane. I would say that The Thing has more humanity than Edward and Montgomery - and especially more than Dr Moreau. 

Themes:

I loved the theme of "who is the monster?" I could totally see a very Frankenstein-esque image coming out in how much Edward could relate to the "Beast People" - this was a true masterpiece of language. I particularly feel sorry for the "Beast People" - their circumstances are not their fault :(

Storyline:

Although the beginning was hard to get into as it began in media res - which I don't think I'll ever get used to. I loved the state of shock that seemed to resonate throughout the story - just as you think it's about to become mundane, there is another turn, another shock, another jump. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9

100% for characters: I really loved the contrasts between humanity and perceived humanity :)

100% for themes: With all the Frankenstein-esque themes - you can really see where Planet of the Apes conjured their "Beast Vs Human" Complex from. 

100% for storyline: Ignoring the part of in media res - I don't believe for a second that this was a challenging read - it was simply a shocking one. Given the fact that I'm not a HG Wells fan, I did really enjoy this one - making it my favourite HG Wells book to date :)

No comments:

Post a Comment