Tuesday 1 November 2016

Viper Wine



Well, this book was the strangest thing ever. I totally recommend reading this, and then re-reading it. There's a certain amount of confusion in the book because for a while it swaps and changes between different stories - there's an aristocrat involved - there's a sailor and a time-traveller involved. We've also got something called "The Dorian Complex" which is there as a theme: How much is beauty worth? Obviously the Viper Wine is an anti-ageing something that you discover from the very start of the book. 

Characters:

Venetia was my favourite character - she's so completely obsessed with herself. A narcissistic entity of amazement that's always searching for the sensation of feeling and looking her best. She is so self-absorbed that she hardly notices the marriage falling apart and the fact that she cannot possibly be setting the best example for the rest of her people. Anyways, I don't like her - but she was the best characters. 

Themes:

My favourite theme was aesthetics and materialism. As in "The Picture of Dorian Gray" there's a certain amount of material value in the novel that shed some light on exactly how self-absorbed the characters are. Also, the aesthetics all comes down to wanting to look young - this then catalyses the rest of the events that come afterwards - since this book is all about taking the Viper Wine. 

Storyline:

My favourite part of the story is when they first introduce Venetia to the reader. She is introduced as a fiery and cultured character with a very strange and distinct personality. Complete with pictures of her, her lover, the house etc. we really get to see that this is historically accurate and has some value in the 16th century real world. 


Verdict:

I give this book 9 . 

100% for characters: I loved Venetia and her husband - they were such well-formed characters.

100% for themes: The whole Dorian Gray sort of thing was brilliant. 

100% for storyline: The whole experience was a great thing to have - I'm reading it again just so I get the intricate details of it all - I think I may have missed some important motifs. 

No comments:

Post a Comment