Wednesday 2 November 2016

Butterfly Skin (Explicit)



Okay, so I read this book and it immediately made me think, "What the actual fuck?" It's a brilliant book with some very strange concepts within it. I found it on my journeys through a list of books on the Horror of 2014. Man, was this horror! Christ, it was twisted in so many ways and things don't normally scare me. It's not "scary" in that sense though - just a scary thought that this could take place in someone's mind - and outside of it. 

My travels through GoodReads brought me here. If you travel through my blog and find twisted books to read - you only have yourself to blame...

Characters:

My favourite character was Xenia. I found her, initially the most likable character in the book and the most intelligent. Then comes all the shite of dark secrets and weird random sexual fantasies that I could do without knowing. But, it's funny how this book can just hit all those chords in your body and make your skin crawl. Gross.

Themes:

My favourite theme was secrecy. Would you expect anything different by now? Nope. Didn't think so. Well, there's a ton of dark secrets involving serial killers, sex and GBH. Yes, GBH. That's just a bit weird, especially to have that mixed with strange sexual fantasies of the BDSM kind. Yep. Yep. That's it. All the nopes, right there. 

Storyline:

Okay, so when we find out about Xenia's weird fetishes - it doesn't come as much of a surprise because we were kind of expecting it as the story kind of led there. There was a sense of decline of morals and the return of strange Clockwork-Orange-Esque concepts. Ew. But yeah - very strange experience to read it. This book really didn't hold back at all. 

Verdict:

 I give this book 8/9

100% for characters: I loved Xenia's change of character and her strange secrets that she even refuses to admit to herself.

100% for themes: Overall, the theme of secrecy was so strange and manipulative. Yes, I have noticed I've used the word strange way too many times here. 

2/3 for storyline: Personal preference, maybe it grossed me out a little too much. I'm never into BDSM writing and stuff like that. Skirting on the necrophiliac. Nope. Not for me. 

No comments:

Post a Comment