Thursday 3 November 2016

NOS4A2



Joe Hill, AKA the son of Stephen King is trying very hard to do what his father does. I understand it's the whole expectation thing - but I thought "Horns" was a little better than this. Not to say that this wasn't any good - just a little underwhelming compared to the other. Vampires, death, killing etc. A cross path between King and Rice in this world that looks like it was written by McCarthy. Violent and strange - it sounds a bit too much like "Joyland" by King, does it not?

Characters: 

Manx was my favourite character purely because he was the most interesting of all. A serial killer, child abductor with a secret that kind of shakes the novel - half expecting it. I wasn't enthralled but I was interested enough to continue reading. 

Themes:

Okay, so my favourite theme here is the supernatural and I will say that Hill writes supernatural a lot like his father does. It's all very surreal and violent. None of it is romanticised because it's not romantic - it's vile and scary and dark and dense.... 

Storyline:

I wasn't expecting much of a supernatural ride, but that's exactly what I got. I will say that the experience of the novel itself was actually pretty good even though the characters probably need to be scratched up a little. I was really enthralled at the beginning as there is a hospital and a serial killer in question - a child abductor who is searching and hunting. Now, that's a good story. 

Verdict:

I give this book 7/9

2/3 for characters: Again, interested but not enthralled. 

2/3 for themes: I think it would be better to develop his own voice, he sounds too much like his father in this field 

100% for storyline: Pretty good. Well done to the storyline for pulling up the suspense a little. 

No comments:

Post a Comment