Sunday 24 July 2016

Sons and Lovers






A D.H Lawrence masterpiece. I never actually thought that I'd like this book - but I did have a soft spot for it in the end. It's a story of love and loss (non-cliche) that entails domestic abuse, physical abuse, emotional abuse - and every other "abuse" you can think of. Altogether? It was quite poetic in the way it romanticised loss and grief.

Fact: My mother's friend told me to read this book. 


Characters: 

Okay, even though I don't really like her that much, Gertrude Morel was my favourite character. Why? Well, DH Lawrence created her as the most three dimensional suffocating matriarch I've ever seen. She's a headstrong grief of a woman who doesn't seem to know who she is until the final chapters of the novel. Uncanny resemblances to feminine heroes of the Victorian era here. Wow, she is a woman - who is not a woman - but thinks that she's a powerless woman - who ends up being a powerful woman....You know what I mean....


Themes: 

The theme of love is strongest in Sons and Lovers I believe. The maternal love VS the sexual passion is always a good start for the comparison of character internally and externally in Gertrude Morel. She is the central character for all themes here. Don't believe me? Read it for yourself! It is brilliantly worded. 

Storyline:

The storyline of Sons and Lovers is very easy to understand - unrequited love leads to suffering love and caressing. Paul and William are great examples of this. A perfect storyline entrapped in themes that don't even feel out of place in the slightest. A brilliant piece of literature. 

Verdict:

I give this book 8 out of 9. 

2/3 for characters: This is purely because I don't feel sympathy for her that much - mainly because she suffocates Paul and William. Not nice. 

100% for themes: The best theme being love and the secondary being grief. These themes are explored extensively in the main plot line of the novel. 

100% for storyline: A really good storyline - and to think, I preferred Lady Chatterley's Lover! 

No comments:

Post a Comment