Monday 11 July 2016

1984


As one of the most influential novels of all time, 1984 deserves a place on this blog. I remember first reading this book when I was 12 years old and now - almost 8 and a half years later, I still can't forget the feeling of realisation that once washed over me. Almost a decade of knowing this brilliant novel makes me glad I read in my spare time. 

Characters:

My favourite character is Winston - purely because he is the on-looker (and our eyes) to action. He is the everyman of the 1984 world and one who has access to the reader's minds as well. I think Orwell did that on purpose though - getting us to have faith in his system just like the population of 1984 have faith in their's. Well played Orwell, well played. 

Themes: 

As the world's most famous dystopian novel - I can say that dystopia is a theme I'd like to cover. Within this theme there are many sectors that are presented in the novel:

  • Surveillance
  • Communism and Dictatorship
  • Depression
  • Wealth and Poverty
  • Human Value
  • Fear
  • Idealism

Each of these viewed equally through the lens of being trapped in Room 101 makes for a legendary piece of fiction. 

Storyline:

I love the storyline. It seems to be all about trust and faith and how we shouldn't put our faith in those with the most power in society - because it will always get misused and abused. The act of trust is put in normal human beings and the whole idea of dystopia, the thought police and other aspects of depression come to life when one person puts their trust in something they don't fully believe in. 

Verdict:

I give this book 9/9.

100% for characters:

This novel's main character, Winston, is a great example of the everyman and I believe that all of us as readers could learn a lot from Winston and how he treats others. 

100% for themes:

The theme of dystopia. This is the main dystopian novel when we look at the theme. When you say dystopia, you think 1984. Do you not? Exactly. 

100% for storyline:

The storyline is still applicable now. We can apply it to the modern day and practically see the thought police around us in the form of media and advertising. We are told what to think and thinking outside the box gets us ridiculed by others. A brilliant novel that can still be applied - 68 years later :)





No comments:

Post a Comment