Monday 25 July 2016

Mission Earth






A series of books by L Ron Hubbard that is considered one of the greatest Sci-Fi novels of all time. It centres itself around 10 volumes of descriptive Sci-Fi intellect and mixes passion with confession in this emotive cycle of events. Admitting it, the first time I read this - it was a serious WTF moment. I had to re-read it in order to understand what I had just experienced. It was fair. 

Characters:


The best character, I thought, was Heller or even Soltan Gris. They were the most three dimensional of all characters with each having their own action-inflicted storyline. Be that as it may, I found Heller was given too much time - a little ambiguity would have made it more gripping to read. 


Themes:

Hubbard's theme of confession and passion is prominent here. Soltan Gris' confessions are the ones that get the ball rolling away from ambiguity - and it's a shame because I like ambiguity in Sci-Fi, it makes everything more intelligent. But, Heller's passions are like fire and seem to overcome these Voltars and their destructions of the ambiguous. For some reason, as passionate as it was - I found it predictable. 

Storyline:

All over the place, but seriously the best part. There was no real running storyline except for when Heller wants to destroy Votar's empire. Soltan Gris' confessions are the only source of real ambiguity in the reader because we don't figure out how important they are until the end of the series. Everything is connected, but not connected...If you know what I mean. 

Verdict:

I give this book 7 out of 9.

100% for characters: This is only because I hold Heller in some regard. A very good three dimensional character with changing and morphing archetypes of hero and anti-hero. Very well played Hubbard, well played indeed. 

2/3 for themes: Apart from trying too hard to be 1984-esque, I think the the themes of this novel were, on the whole, well done. They didn't seem out of place or just stuck in for effect, they were well equated and divided up with a clear focus on confession and passion. Although, it gets 2/3 for being a tad bit predictable. 

2/3 for storyline: Only because I thought the ending was rushed. (That's the ending to the tenth book by the way). 

No comments:

Post a Comment