Saturday 16 July 2016

Dubliners








This James Joyce novel has various metaphysical topics that are accustom to his writing style. Even though I prefer Finnegan's Wake. I am sure that The Dubliners impressed me almost as much - but a lot more than Ulysses did. Written with beautiful Irish context - Joyce reveals the Irishman's and Irishwoman's lifestyle through brilliant descriptions and witty, sarcastic dialogue. 

Characters:

This may sound abnormal, but my favourite character is Little Chandler. The language of melancholy in his chapter is brilliant - basically I only like Little Chandler for the language of happiness and sadness that is contrasted throughout the chapter. 

Themes:

Obviously, the theme of Irish Identity is key here. The Dubliners wouldn't be anything without Joyce's trait for "being Irish" and "what makes on Irish". I think his writing on this topic is amazing and vibrant with extensively descriptive and witty language. 

Storyline:

The story of The Dubliners creates the identity of Irish (as I have said previously), but also contrasts emotions and descriptions using vast metaphors and brilliant similes within a story of the everyman's Ireland. A great set of storylines within a short book - a legendary piece of light reading!

Verdict:

I give this book 9.

100% for characters: The characters in this book are all presented with underlying Irish identity within a world where they must encounter various problems with their identities and identification - then seek to fix them. I love the way in which Joyce narrates a set of characters as being Irish by description and even by speech. 

100% for themes: I gave the themes 100% because I'm biased to loving Irish Fiction - Irish literature is some of my favourite and I love the way Joyce embraces the identity within contrasting themes and descriptive narrative. 

100% for storyline: The storyline, focussing on the everyman, really gives us an insight into Ireland that is only felt by the pen in Joyce's hand. Just like Finnegan's Wake it is a tale of identity in a changing world - and how it effects each and every Irishman and Irishwoman in it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment