Friday 29 July 2016

Kafka on the Shore





Upon an escape plan hatched from a very Freudian Oedipus Complex - this set-to-be ancient greek tragedy of Japanese origin puts into motion exactly why Murakami has a fascination with cats. I read this book a few years ago and just forgot about it - I write about it now purely after seeing it on my bookshelf and thinking about it for long lengths of time. Kafka on the Shore has to be one of the first Murakami books I read - and also one of the most meaningful of his novels. 

Characters:

As with everyone who is familiar with Murakami's works - my favourite characters are Nakata and Kafka. Funny thing about this book is that we start off with Kafka's story - and we shall do this for all oddly numbered chapters (1,3,5 etc.) - but Nakata's story is told for all the even chapters (2,4,6 etc.). This strange narrative goes on for the entire book and involved old men looking for lost cats (oh yeah, that really narrows down the Murakami range). 

Themes:

I love the connections between the contemporary and classical in Murakami. All of his books are set in the present with connections to the past. For example: we have Japanese Shinto - we have a connection between young characters listening to music by Handel and Beethoven - we also have the ageing process as a sign of reflection and deep thought. A powerful writer sets his themes in all of his books to teach us how nostalgia is not the only importance when we look into the past. 

Storyline:

As I said, Nakata and Kafka are the main characters of the story. The main storyline tells us of the escape from an Oedipal Tragedy - but then Nakata's tells us of magic realism and enlightenment. These two stories are interwoven - yet completely contrast each other. This is why I suggest that everyone read Murakami.

Verdict:

I give this book 9. 

100% for characters: 

I really felt for Kafka and Nakata - I also loved the kind of friends they made along the way such as Hoshino the truck driver. 

100% for themes:

As with all Murakami novels - the themes are unbeatable. 

100% for storyline:

I think Murakami really planned this one carefully. It is one of his best works and the writing style is so intense, you get carried away without even realising it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment