Friday 2 September 2016

The House of the Spirits




First of all - I just finished this book - and it made me cry. 

I'm tearing up because, well, it was just so emotional... 

I can't even imagine - it is by far one of the greatest Latin American novels I've ever read. 

If there's one book you read on this blog, make sure it's this one. 

I cannot describe how much this book made me feel...

It's beautifully tragic - and completely heartbreaking. Yet, so perfectly complete and so satisfying to read. 

Set in Latin America - this book spans 3 generations of a family. Starting with Esteban Trueba and his lover Rosa the Beautiful - Esteban seeks out Rosa's younger sister Clara, and marries her. They have a daughter named Blanca and two twin boys called Nicolas and Jaime. Blanca has a daughter named Alba.... and this lineage creates one of the greatest spiritual novels of all time (in my opinion anyway). 

Characters: 

My favourite character was Clara. Clara just seemed so completely aware of everything - down to when people were going to die. There was always a certainty about Clara that nobody ever listened to - and you can see it reflected in Blanca and Alba as well. It's a beautiful and compelling character personality that strikes you as being the "spirit" of the novel. 

Themes:

My favourite theme is honour. Especially family honour in the midst of the civil war taking place. Alba is one who must decide between her family and the good of the country. Clara must decide between her family and her lover. Esteban must decide between his family and his reputation....And the list goes on. There is not one moment where everything is calm and serene. There is always a dramatic turn that left me feeling defeated and now - my heart still races at a mile a minute. It's absolutely brilliant. 

Storyline:

The story begins with Rosa the Beautiful - the older sister to Clara and the lover of Esteban. Rosa dies suddenly and Esteban seeks Clara as his new lover. Clara and Esteban fall madly in love and helplessly tend to the child Blanca as their relationship splits apart. Clara retains her magical beauty and Esteban grows cold and distant from her - almost silently longing for her love again. Jaime and Nicolas are finally born and they grow up in the same environment but worlds apart - looking after their sister from their father. "The big house on the corner" turns into a dead zone and enthrals a mad spell cast on the entire family. For 90 years, this family endures strife and moments of complete desolation to the point of certain death. The shocks and dramatic turns left me with a feeling of incompletion and longing for more. I am definitely going to read this book again, but for now - I need time to recover. 

Verdict:

I give this book 10/9

100% for characters: I loved Clara and Alba; I loved the twins and Blanca - I even loved Esteban at times - even though he was so very cruel at times. 

100% for themes: I loved the theme of honour - there was just so much of it that it overwhelmed me with emotion by then - and it did make me cry. I know right, I cried. 

4/3 for storyline: At the moment I began crying - I felt that the reason this book is called The House of the Spirits isn't because it has anything to do with ghosts - but it has more to do with the purely magically and enchanting nature of the novel and its characters. The characters themselves are spirits of the revolution - all spanning several different perspectives and teachings. It is a beautiful novel that I wish you will read. 

End note:

Now, I know I don't normally put an end note on my blogs, but this one requires you to know how much I feel for this novel - as I type, my heart still bursts with emotion - I still wipe tears from my face, I still tap-dry my make-up. This book was able to evoke emotions in me that I didn't know I had. 

You wake up at the end of the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment