Sunday 26 June 2016

The Haunting of Hill House





The Haunting of Hill House was a great book - sometimes it lacked three dimensional characters and a good storyline, but the haunting itself was excellently written. 



Characters:


My favourite character was Dr. Montague. This was purely because he was the only character that I felt a connection with. The only character that I felt partially sorry for; he seemed so sure that the house wasn't haunted, but then - well, it was. He had all of his beliefs challenged and expelled and finally, only after he left did he realise what that house was really capable of. 


Themes:


The gothic. A brilliant theme to perceive horror through. A lens of discomfort and disengagement that only makes it so uncomfortable that we want to read it. This is a funny human thing but works well when it comes to horrific and graphic gothic literature. Some of the quotations are amazing; especially when describing the house. It almost makes you ask the characters: why the hell would you go in there? 


Storyline:


I have to admit, I don't like the typical 'haunted house' storyline, but I enjoyed this because language, form and structure were able to pick it up - rather if it didn't have that; I probably would've had a Gatsby rant about it. 


Verdict:


I give this book 6/9

100% Characters: 


Dr. Montague was relatable, yet unreliable. He was corporate yet emotional and he was scientific yet superstitious. I think he had the best character equilibrium I have seen in the entire book. 

100% Themes: 


A brilliantly written gothic horror modern classic, I believe that this book could be rated just for its use of language around the topic of gothic horror.  

0% Storyline:


I think the storyline needed to be a little more multi-layered than a simple haunted house. I think there could've been more depth to the novel and a better sense of the supernatural (as some of the descriptions were cut short or not focussed enough). 


All in all, I did like this book - but I wouldn't read it again for pleasure. It was mediocre and had a brilliant cast with some well-developed themes, just a let down with the storyline.

No comments:

Post a Comment